Saturday, June 4, 2011

Looking Under the Hood of the DB9

I had to chuckle to myself after putting the title on this update.  I wonder how many Aston Martin DB9 fans will google up this blog by accident.

I have to say, after cleaning the DB9 and comparing it to the DB380, this update will be about as exciting as the unboxing from last night.  Not much has changed other than the obvious upsizing of several components, new trigger springs, and a much larger ejection port to accommodate the larger cartridge.

Recoil springs have been beefed up for the larger cartridge.

The slide looks just the same, but larger.  The ejection port is also quite a bit longer on the DB9 to handle the longer cartridge.  The DB9 barrel is has also increased in length by 2/10 of an inch.  I had a very difficult time getting a decent picture of the feed ramps and chamber throats.  I will say that if I could have properly focused the picture, the DB9 ramp was polished to a mirror finish and free of the tool marks found on the DB380 feed ramp.  Both barrels have the same polishing on the chamber throats.

The frames appear to be nearly identical except for the size and modification to the trigger springs.  On my first review of the DB380, I questioned the longevity of the original trigger springs and trigger bar actuation.  The original system has been changed for the DB9.  I did my best to call out the change in the picture below.  I included the over exposed picture as it highlights some components that aren't as visible in the good photo.
A quick scan of the parts list for the DB380 and DB9 shows 39 parts listed for each gun.  On the surface that doesn't seem significant until you dig in a little deeper on the list.  New for the DB9 is a little part called S013 - TB Rear Assist Spring.  For those of us that lived through the early trigger reset issues of the DB380, this new spring should make you raise your eyebrows.  The trigger reset problems were caused by the rear of the trigger bar catching on the rear frame block and sear axis pin.  I'm hoping the new rear assist spring was put into the DB9 to eliminate this problem.  Also new for the DB9 is part G05 - Firing Pin Spacer.  I was hoping that this part would eliminate one other known issue with the DB380.  The issue comes up when your trigger has been pulled on an empty chamber and the firing pin is fully forward.  If you try to rack a round from the magazine, the rim of the cartridge will catch on the firing pin and jam up the gun.  The way around this is to always cycle the slide after dry firing the trigger to reset the firing pin back into the firing pin channel.  Personally, I've never had a problem with this, but others grouse about it frequently.  So I'm not really sure why the firing pin spacer was added for the DB9.  

One last observation on my deep dive into the manual, and it's really quite a huge observation that I would never have caught if I wasn't doing this review.  Check out this picture.  The top manual is the one that came with my DB9.  The bottom manual came with my DB380.  Diamondback had to do a new run of manuals since one manual covers both the DB380 and DB9.  Notice the DB380/320 Parts List title in the new manual.  If I was a betting man, I read 320 to mean we will be seeing a DB in .32 acp soon.  Now that may not get you very excited, but I can't wait to get my hands on one.  I like my Keltec P-32, but I could see a DB320 in my future.  I call dibs on one from the first batch please.

I'm done for the day.  Check back tomorrow for a comprehensive range report. 

7 comments:

  1. The review says, "I was hoping that this part would eliminate one other know issue with the DB380."

    Typo? Should "know" actually be "known"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to http://gunsgunsguns.net/diamondback-firearms-db320/ the .32 they are referring to is a .32 NAA, not a .32 ACP :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did additional checking on the .32 and found out that it is .32 NAA which makes perfect sense. DBF would literally only need to change the barrel to do this gun as all other DB380 parts would be the same. I think there were a few Keltec P3ATs done like this as a very limited run a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my db9 is having firing problems.triggers not pulling pin correctly.contact is pour.theres a 3 trigger pull before finally firing.how can i fix without having to ship out??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will need to call Diamondback/Taurus Customer Service on this issue. It doesn't sound like something you can address yourself.

      Delete

  6. Quote from: DBF Customer Service on May 22, 2014, 07:49:21 AM
    Hopefully this will clear up any confusion... Cycle the slide with no magazine in the pistol, pull the trigger, then cycle the slide enough to look in the ejection port. You should notice the firing pin sticking out. If you load a full mag, the round chamfer will catch on the firing pin. We do not want this situation, so if you fire 6 rounds & only squeeze the trigger 6 times, you can load a full mag, cycle & continue shooting, however, if you fire 6 rounds (5+1) & squeeze the trigger a 7th time, this will be a dry fire. You will need to remove the empty mag, cycle the slide to reset the firing pin, then insert the next full 6 round mag & cycle the slide again to chamber a round. This is the only way to prevent the round chamfer from making contact with the firing pin. The firing pin must be reset. The DB9 & DB380, due to their design, could not be fitted with a functioning slide lock, therefore you must cycle the slide to reset the firing pin in a dry fire situation. We cycle the slide every time we hear a click & not a bang. A click instead of a bang will most likely mean your out, however, it could mean a bad round (squib, etc...). It's just a great safety measure to get in the habit of doing with all firearms.

    ReplyDelete