Monday, August 22, 2011

Remora Holsters and the Diamondback DB9

One of the typical issues with a brand new gun model is availability of holsters.  I knew this going into my decision to buy an early model DB9.  I was sure that a generic Blackhawk! #3 or #4 would probably work, but I'm not overly fond of the basic pouch holsters as they often inhibit getting a proper grip when drawing from the pocket.  I was pleased to see that DeSantis stepped up and actually had their Nemesis holster for the DB9 available before the pistol was actually released to the public.

If you've never had a Nemesis holster, there's a picture of the DB9 holster below.  They work ok, but I've found them to be ill fitting from time to time.  The Nemesis built specifically for the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 was not stitched properly and it allowed the rear sights to snag on the binding around the holster mouth.  The DB9 holster was a better fit, but was cut too short allowing the end of barrel to drop below the bottom of the holster.  1/8 to 1/4" of extra length would have made the holster better in my opinion.  The second picture below illustrates what I am writing about.  On the plus side the Nemesis holsters are relatively cheap, light weight, and broadly available.



Not sure if you've heard about Remora holsters yet.  I know they were new to me up until about 8 months ago when I read post from someone singing the praises of a clip-less in the waistband holster.  Being typically skeptical, I dismissed the concept as absurd and went about my business.  The buzz around these holsters continued to grow so I took the next step and visited their website for a better look at the goods.  The holsters appeared to be well made, made domestically, offered several options, covered many pistol brands and models, and were reasonably priced.  If I was going to try them out, I was going to try to break the system.  I ordered a holster for a CZ75.  I wanted to see if this clip-less holster could really support a 41 oz. fully loaded steel framed pistol all day and not end up dropping down my pants leg.  Imagine my surprise when the holster was able to support the CZ in a pair of microfiber shorts for half a day.  I gave up before the holster did.  I just can't sit, walk, and drive around with a CZ stuck in my shorts all day so after about 5 hours my testing was done and the Remora holster passed with flying colors.

I put in additional orders over the following months and even had the chance to speak with Alan Bogdan, the owner of the company, on one occasion.  If you ever email Remora, the emails go to Alan and he will communicate with you directly via email or phone if necessary.  Not sure how long he can keep that up if his business continues to grow as it has been, but for now you can be sure you're communicating at the top of the company.

As I said before, Remora holsters are made in the USA.  I'm not sure how many holster making elves Alan has on staff, but if you've gotten accustomed to the multi-week or multi-month wait for holsters you don't need to worry about that with Remora.  I'll run you through an example from last week so you can see what I'm talking about.

If you've been following the blog, you know I'm pretty fond of my DB9.  It's pretty much replaced everything else as my primary every day carry pistol.  I was using the Nemesis pictured above, but I wasn't really happy with it as the barrel was always picking up lint from my pocket.  I had a Remora Size 2 pocket holster in hand so I thought I would give it a try with the DB9.  Just so you know, the Size 2 Remora is actually for the DB380.  It fit OK, but the rear sights were exposed and it was a bit tight and made pocket draw a little difficult.  The picture below shows the DB9 in the Size 2 Remora holster.


I wasn't happy with this so I shot an email off to Alan and asked if he had a holster that would work with the DB9.  This was August 13th.  I also sent along the picture, like the one above, so he could get an idea about any changes required.  He answered me back that same day and said he was working on a holster that would fit the DB9 and he would get one out to me as soon as he could.  Imagine my surprise when I went to the mailbox on Thursday August 18th and found my Size 3 Remora (pictured below) in the mailbox.  A perfect fit.


The Remora holster for the DB9 tips the scales at a tenth of an ounce heavier than the DeSantis Nemesis, but in return for that extra weight I get a closed muzzle holster and one that can work equally well in the pocket as well as in the waistband.  That's great flexibility.  I have been using the holster both ways depending on what I happen to be wearing that day.


I'm sure Remora holsters will be appearing in my blog again in the future as I add other reviews and commentary.  If you are intrigued about Remora holsters after reading this, please feel free to check them out on the web.  http://remoraholsters.com/

Remora also has a Facebook page. Remora Holsters Facebook Page   I was reading through what was on the page and it sounds like there are some new products in the pipeline.  One I found pretty exciting was a tuckable Remora holster.  Can't wait to see what those look like.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice review. Although I don't own a Remors holster, I do like their design. I'm looking for a "tuckable" holster for my DB380 at the moment. So thanks for the heads up on the tuckable Remora holster.

    I enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

    hatchet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it work well for the DB9 for left-hand?

    I'm looking into this as a back-up setup for my weakside as well as something small for running and when I can't have my large pistol on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 100% ambi. Equally at home on the left or right.

    ReplyDelete