Friday, October 7, 2011

Ruger Rimfire Challenge Prep - Week 2

In my last post, I mentioned that I had about 3 weeks to get ready to shoot in my local Ruger Rimfire Challenge event coming up on the 22nd of October.  I made some progress on my pre-event checklist so I thought I would post an update.

I got my entry form and check out in the mail this week but I had to decide what I was going to shoot as competitors will be classified by their gear.  I really wanted to go with iron sights for the pistol portion, but in the end I decided to shoot Open Class for both rifle and pistol.  Both guns started life as Rugers, but I made a few modifications (parts swaps really) to each along the way.  The rifle is one of the new SR-22s and the pistol is a Mark II frame with a Volquartsen LLV action.  Both triggers have been Volquartsen-ized with the target trigger components.  I've used both of these quite a bit so I know they run well.  Both have red dot sights.


As I studied the match stages, I was happy to see a mix of steel plates and clay targets.  I love shooting clays so it was off to Home Depot to scrounge up the parts for a Clay Target holder.  I built this in about 30 minutes last weekend and it's perfect for my practice needs.  Total cost was about $5 as I had the T's and elbows left over from another project.  It breaks down for travel.  As long as I shoot the bottom bank of 5 first, this should work out great for practice.  All I need to do is put it out on a drop cloth and cleaning up the clay pieces will be a breeze.  I also picked up some 6" and 9" paper plates to substitute for the 6", 8", and 10" steel plates they will be using for the event.


The last thing I needed to decide on was my ammo.  I had 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-mag HP of the same lot number on hand so it's going to be my practice and match ammo.  I've always had good luck with Mini Mags.  They seem a bit more powerful than the bulk packed Federal, Winchester, and Remington so I have high confidence that they will cycle both guns with authority.


The only other thing I did this week was to spend some time holding my pistol out at arms length for several minutes per day.  At 48 oz fully loaded, it can get heavy after a few minutes pass.  I want to be sure my muscles are properly prepared.

Tomorrow afternoon it's off to the range to sight in with my ammo choice and start breaking some of those clay targets.  If I can get to the point where I'm consistently breaking the clays at 8, 16, and 24 yards with both guns I will be more than prepared for the real match.

No comments:

Post a Comment