Saturday, March 3, 2012

2012 Wish List

From time to time I'll be asked about specific pocket pistols that I've mentioned in my blogs.  Often I get questions about pistols that I've never owned or had the opportunity to shoot.  I'm lucky enough to be able to buy a new pistol every so often so I keep a short wish list of new pocket pistols that I'd like to own or at least evaluate.  For 2012, I actually have 4 pocket guns that I would love to get my hands on.  I'll be going the extra mile to get my hands on each of these this year and you can be assured that I will review each one if I can get them.

So here's my short list for 2012 in no particular order.

Heizer DoubleTap 45 ACP
Why I want this pistol:  It's super thin and light.  This would be an excellent back up for a Glock 36.  It would also be an ideal knock about trail gun with 2 rounds of .45 ACP 230 grain JHPs in the gun and 2  CCI .45 shot shells on standby in the grip.

Sig Sauer P938 9mm

Why I want this pistol:  Capitalizing on the success of their .380 acp P238 , Sig has announced a 9mm will be available in a similar platform.  With a 6+1 capacity and an optional 7 round magazine (pictured) this 1.1" wide beauty sports a 3" barrel and 1911 like controls.  Sig has listed several variations of this model, but I'm most interested in the all black Extreme version pictured.  It's small with a light weight alloy frame.  I can't wait to get my hands on this little gem for discrete 2 O'clock IWB carry.

Boberg XR9-S 9mm 

Why I want this pistol:   Like Heizer, Boberg is another relatively new pistol manufacturer in the market.  Their initial shipment of guns went out late in the 3rd quarter of 2011.  Their unique design allows for a barrel length that's about 10% longer than similar sized pistols.  I jumped on their "waiting list" in Q3 of 2011 with hopes of actually getting my XR9-S at some point in 2012.  What really sold me on this gun was a size comparison that Arne Boberg did with the Kahr P380.  I love the P380 size so I'm sure making adjustments to the size of the XR9-S will be a snap.

Masterpiece Arms Protector II .380acp

Why I want this pistol:  The last pistol on my list is the Masterpiece Arms Protector II in .380 ACP.  I started liking this pistol when it was still the original Protector.  The Protector II is an updated version of that original design and has been modified in several areas.  It's now ported, has more functional slide gripping surfaces, and a beaver tail to reduce "slide bite".  As a LWS380 owner, I have to say that the Seecamp .380 is a punishing pistol to shoot.  I'm intrigued by the porting on the Protector II and really want to see if it can tame the trigger finger slap I get from the micro .380 guns.  I think this will be  a great hide-out option that is offered at a very reasonable price.

It's awesome to live in a country that allows us to make lists like this and actually stand a good chance of getting each item on the list in the next 12 months.  I can't wait to get my hands on these pistols and shoot, review, and evaluate them.  2 years ago, a list like this would have been loaded with .380 and .32 acp options, but companies here in the USA keep pushing the design envelope to bring us 9mm and larger pistols in very small packages.  It's going to be a good year.

4 comments:

  1. Nice wish list and your first gun is on mine too. The Double Tap has to be one of the most unique guns and a major break through in derringer design. When I get mine I'll say good bye to my clunky Bond with the 6 extra barrels. My wish list includes another outstanding new (caliber) in pocket pistols which is the Ruger LCR in .22 LR. There are only a couple of 2 inch snubbies in .22 LR and S&W's are really pricey.

    Good article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I am very familiar with the LCR .38 and recently looked at the .22 LR version. I just couldn't get over the way the cylinder looked. Should the LCR ever be available in .22 magnum, I think I might be able to overlook that cylinder.

      Delete
  2. Good List!! I live in CA so we are STILL waiting for the Sig P238 -

    some of these will never get modified (mag safety and loaded chamber indicator) or pass the drop test (39 or 38" onto concrete 6 ways) or the endurance test - (600 rounds with very few malfunctions for 3 samples) that they need to be sold in CA. I think the Hiezer and Sig could eventually make it! Like you, I am looking forward to them!

    I have the LCR in 38 - Its okay but I like the S&W Bodyguard 38 better - just feels nicer! I wish they would bring that out in 22 or 22mag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get any gun imported to CA if you go through the single-shot conversion program offered by some of the gun shops, like Valkyrie Arms.

      Delete