Sunday, March 11, 2012

2012 Wish List Update

Spring break is right around the corner and I really want to log some range time during my time off.  Ideally, I could spend part of my range time with one or two items from my 2012 wish list, but I doubt any of them will be available in time for the break.

I've never paid much attention to Taurus.  A long time ago I had a PT-22 which was an ok little plinker and a short stop on my Mouse Gun journey.  My most memorable experience with it was dispatching a ground hog that was causing issues out at our trap club.  It didn't last long in the collection and found it's way into the pocket of someone else.

I was looking at the 2012 Taurus catalog today as I'm considering a 4" Tracker 992 SS, and came across this little gem.  This was not on my 2012 wish list, but it's being added.  I'm seriously going to pick one of these up for no other reason than to support a company that is willing to go where others have not.  I'm also really interested to see how this DAO sub 1 lb. and sub 6" mini revolver will behave firing .380 acp cartridges.  I'm familiar with revolvers built for rimless cartridges and have no problem using moon clips.  I actually liked using them with a Smith and Wesson 625 as it made for very fast reloads and also easy to keep track of your spent brass.  I've found very little additional information about this pistol other than what is listed in the 2012 Taurus Catalog.  



So look forward to a Mouse Guns and Gear review of the Taurus 380 Mini Revolver at some point this year.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This gun was reviewed recently on the American Rifleman blog. It piqued my interest, as well. Looking forward to your review.

      http://www.americanrifleman.org/articlepage.aspx?id=4028&cid=26

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the referral Michael. It's amazing what I can find if I search using the correct model numbers. I found a stainless in-stock so it's on the way. I should have it in time for my Spring Break.

      Delete
  2. I have the latest verson of the PT-22(PLY) and it has real style but the handle bulges in my pocket when compared to my PT 32 for ease of carry. I think mini revolver is kind of misleading unless we're just talking about caliber because there are many snubbies about that size but I'll certainly lookforward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob. I agree that it will be smaller, but not really super small. You can only reduce things so much before problems start. I do know it's got the shortest barrel of any Taurus and the length and weight are also the lowest in the pack. I'm concerned about velocity due to the cylinder gap and short 1.75" barrel, but am willing to try it for the sake of novelty.

      Delete
  3. The Taurus guns I've owned have all been good and they offer a lifetime warranty on the gun and not just for the original owner. I had a 617 (2 inch in 357) that was a beauty. When shooting 38 target ammo the sights stayed on target after firing even one handed, it was amazing but that 7 shot revolver was just too big to carry for me and I let it go. My pocket gun is the P 32, not the PT 32 mentioned in earlier post.

    ReplyDelete