Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thanks for Your Support!

Over the last few months I've received several offers to help me fund my ballistics testing.  Up to this point, I've politely turned them down because I couldn't figure out a simple way to allow people to contribute to my testing efforts.  Trust me, I would love to share the expense with anyone that wants to help out as it would allow me to test more quickly. 

Here is one example of how more gear would help me turn my tests around faster.  60 lbs of raw SIM-TEST costs about $275 delivered.  From that 60 lbs, I can pour 5 1/2 test blocks that are long enough for .380 and .32 testing.  You've seen me use these blocks here.  These blocks are roughly calibrated to ballistics gel.  Each time I use a block for testing, I lose a little bit of the SIM-TEST.  When I remelt it into a test block, I lose a little more.  Ideally, I would like to purchase another 60 lbs. of SIM-TEST so I could go to the range with a few small blocks for .380/.32  tests and some longer blocks for testing 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP. 

The other day I received a YouTube message from someone asking me if they could send me a couple boxes of ammo so I could test them.  As it turns out, I had one of the loads on hand and it will be tested in the near future.  The second load was one I didn't have on hand so I went ahead and ordered a box of it today along with some other varieties to test, including the pricy Corbon DPX that I've been avoiding buying because it's over a buck a round for a box of 20.  Everyone asks me to test Corbon ammo.  Luckily for me, Cabela's was running 1 penny shipping on your entire order if you purchased any type of footwear.  I needed new summer slip on shoes, so I took advantage of that deal.  

By now you may have noticed that I've added a Google Shopping Cart to my blog.  I think this will be the easiest way for folks that wish to contribute to the testing cause to do so.  I can assure you that any contribution will be funding one of four things.
1)  Test ammo
2)  More SIM-TEST ballistics media
3)  Raw materials and tools to rebuild my ballistics box (plastic welders are expensive)
4)  Alternate test media.  I purchased 4lbs. of Knox gelatine this week so I could compare true ballistics gel to the SIM-TEST media.  You really can find just about ANYTHING on Amazon.

If you are so inclined, I'd appreciate your support.  Any amount is fine and will help the cause.  The $5 amount is just a default amount the blogger gadget puts in there.

I've also added a Topix Cloud on the blog.  If you click on the words ballistics testing, it will bring up just the ammo testing related blog posts and not the other stuff.  With almost 70 blog articles, the ammo tests were getting difficult to find.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment