Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool's? Unfortunately Not!

Not sure how you all feel about April Fool's Day product announcement emails, but I'm sure you have seen your share of them today.  I know I sure have.  I think my favorite was the Kube X15 home atomic reactor offer from Tiger Direct.  They seemed to go downhill from there.

I did get another note that I was really hoping was an April Fool's joke, but it appears to be quite legitimate.  A few days ago I went through the exercise of setting up a Google shopping cart for those folks that wished to contribute to the ballistics testing I've been doing.  It wasn't an easy decision to do this as I've always been self-funded.  When I saw that blogger offered a widget that made it pretty easy to add a shopping cart to your blog for your supporters, I decided to give it a try.  I received an email from Google this morning to let me know that my shopping cart account had been suspended because they think I am selling weapons and/or ammo.  Both of these are blacklisted products in the Google shopping cart world. 

I really have no recourse, since I have no idea how to explain my case that I'm not selling anything.  I'm only providing research and information for folks that might not have the ways and means to do the testing themselves.  I immediately issued refunds to anyone that contributed to the blog in the last couple of days and I thank you again for your support.  It didn't make sense for me to keep the donations as they were frozen in my account and I will never be able to get them out.

As of this morning, I'm 100% self funded again.  Ad-sense won't work with me because I provide back links in my blogs and articles to sellers of weapons and ammo.  The Google shopping cart folks mistakenly think I'm selling tangible weapons and/or ammo.  Ultimately, this means that I'm going to have to continue to plod along at a slower pace while getting the funds together for the testing gear that will allow me to do my work faster.  I'm ok with that.  I just wanted to let you all know about the changes and what was behind them.

1 comment:

  1. My Kube X15 appeared to be leaking, not wanting to put anyone in danger I have decided store it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete