Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Going Dark

Earlier tonight I noticed that all my blog images hosted on Photobucket starting showing a message that I had exceeded my monthly band-width allotment and I would need to "Go Pro" and pony up a monthly fee for the pleasure of having Photobucket host my blog images.

After thinking about it for a few hours, I've decided that this is the straw that broke the camel's back.  For the last 10 months, I've spent a considerable amount of my personal time and money creating over 80 new blog articles.  Each one was created by me and was not simply re-posting content created by someone else.  While I have enjoyed doing it, I think I'm done spending my time and money going out of my way to share my thoughts and learnings with others through the blog.

If that wasn't enough...earlier tonight Blogger has forced us all to use their new interface.  It's about as intuitive as a cat learning to ice skate.    

So just like Jack Bauer in the last episode of 24, we're going dark.

And Photobucket, this last image is for you.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to see it because I've exceeded my band-width allotment.  While I hate to do it, I feel compelled to share my thoughts about Photobucket specifically and social media in general.  Since they can't figure out how to monetize the viewers of the content they host, they've decided to charge a fee and penalize the people that actually create the content they host on their website.  [sarcasm] What a great way to foster new and creative thoughts and content!!!![/sarcasm]  Social media and web enabled information sharing is so broken.  

 

4 comments:

  1. I wish you would reconsider... you run a great blog and I have really enjoyed reading it.

    If you ever have any desire to guest post, you have have an open invitation at my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sent you an email regarding the decision and I really appreciate the offer to guest post. I may take you up on that.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'll be sorry to see you go, but I can understand. Guest posting at gunmart would be cool, I subscribe there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, don't go! I really enjoy your posts and the information you provide is very informative! It's difficult to find this kind of specific information in one spot!

    ReplyDelete