Sunday, April 22, 2012

You Call The Shots.....Literally

Earlier today I recast two blocks of SIM-TEST.  Rather than me deciding what to shoot into them, I've decided to let you blog readers decide.  Just post a comment with your choice and I'll let this run a few days before making the final decision on what to shoot into these blocks.  Our theme is testing ammo from short barrels so please list your desired caliber and load.  I'll test anything from .32 ACP through 9mm +P right now.  .38, .357, .40, and .45 will be following soon.  Also please state you barrel length preference so I can match that up with something I have on hand here with a similar barrel length.

By the way, if you have not noticed, I've created a new blog child page that will take you to a Paypal link if you would like to help support my on-going testing.  The child page is called "Fund More Research" and you can get to it from the tabs shown above or by clicking this link.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/p/fund-more-research.html  I've added some info on the page to give you an idea of the things I need to keep moving forward with additional testing.

I've also added another child page that I will be updating with my testing schedule.  As requests, new items to be tested, and funds come in I will be keeping this page up to date with my future scheduled tests.  Not much to see yet, but the new page can be accessed though the tab above.


Let's hear what you want to see tested.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And when you get around to testing .38, I'd like to see how the Federal Nyclads perform.

      Delete
    2. I have not seen the Nyclads available in years. Are they still being manufactured?

      Delete
    3. Apparently they reintroduced them a couple of years ago. They're only available in .38 Special, 125 gr.

      Delete
  2. A comparison of Critical Defense, Gold Dots and PDX1 all fired a 3.5 inch gun like a Bersa, Beretta 84 or a PPK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .32 ACP from a Kel-Tec P32 please. Thats what I carry when I cant carry a gun.

    I'd also like to see you put a rack of ribs in front of the ballistics gel. I'd really like to see the effect striking bone has on penetration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FMJ or HP? From previous testing, the only expander in .32 I've found was the Corbon. Everything else I tried slowed down too much in the denim to expand properly.

      Delete
  4. Are we limited to 2 loads?

    I would love to see a comparison between MagTech .380 85 grain +P and Critical Defense/Zombie Max .380 all through 4 layers denim. I would also like to see the Gold Dot .380 and the MagTech 77 grain full copper load as well if we get more than 2 choices.

    My reasoning - on the MagTech they are the least expensive premium load usually and look a lot like gold dot, and the Critical Defense/Zombie Max is the most recently released premium load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MagTech has been tested once. Critical Defense and Gold Dot have both been tested twice, and that included a 4 layer denim test with each load. Just click on the Topix Could item "Ballistics Testing" if you want to see what has been previously tested.

      Delete
  5. Sorry - I forgot to add - testing out of a pocket .380 - Keltec/Taurus/Ruger for barrel length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruce -

    Would love to see the following two loads, and would be happy to donate:

    1 --- Winchester PDX-1 180gr .40SW from a 3" barrel
    2 --- Winchester Ranger-T 180 (RA40) from a 3" barrel

    Any shot of that happenin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I previously purchased the 180 Ranger T, so I have that on hand. I don't have the PDX on hand. I'm pretty backed up on tests at the moment since I'm trying to get ahead for Winter in case I get shut down by weather. It might be a few weeks before I could run the tests so it's up to you if you can wait for the results. Regardless, thanks for the offer to help out on the ammo.

      Delete
  7. Yep, anytime. Just posted a donation.
    Would be interesting to see PDX and T-series, both in 180, side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad. I saw the notification come up in my email. I'll be on the look out for the PDX on my next trip to Cabela's or my next on-line order.

      Delete
  8. I would love to see how the original Federal hollowpoint loads do compared to newer things, like the HST. The original is the 45D, for example, or the 9mm version +9BPLE (you might have done that one). I'm most interested in the .45, though.

    ReplyDelete