Monday, May 28, 2012

Lehigh Defense Ammunition

 
Several weeks ago I received an email from Mike at Ventura Munitions.  Mike introduced himself and told me that he had watched my YouTube video on my terminal testing of the COP solid copper 380 ammo that I posted about HERE.  Mike wanted to know if I would be interested in doing some additional tests on a new line of solid copper ammunition from Lehigh Defense that Ventura Munitions was distributing.  I'm not one to turn down a chance to test new stuff so I told Mike that I was definitely interested in running my terminal tests on the ammo from Lehigh Defense.

I really didn't know much about Lehigh Defense so Mike pointed me to their website.  There I discovered that Lehigh Defense is based in Quakertown, PA.  Having grown up in NJ, I immediately realized that that the Lehigh part of their name comes from their location in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.  I also discovered a ton of information about the company and the ammunition they produce.  I won't bore you with a bunch of info about companies affiliated with Lehigh Denfense, but I will say they've been in the defense and aerospace industries for more than two decades with a significant small arms background through their Lehigh Bullets business.   

Over the last few weeks, I've exchanged a few emails with the principals at Lehigh Defense.  What started as a test of the .380 Maximum Expansion line of ammunition grew into something quite a bit larger.  I recently returned home from a family vacation and found a package from Lehigh Defense waiting for me.  In the package were samples of several varieties of their ammunition.  Let's just say that the ammo samples they sent will keep me pretty busy testing for at least the next month or so.

Lehigh Defense also sent me one of their sales demonstration boards along with the ammo to test.  I shot a picture of it so you can see what the baseline performance looks like before I go out and start my testing.  The ME or Maximum Expansion line is where I will be starting my tests since Lehigh sent me samples in .45 ACP, 9mm, and .380 ACP.  The recovered bullets on the sales demonstration board were previously fired and have rifling marks on the bullet bases so my recovered rounds should look similar to what you see on the board.

Additionally, I was provided with samples of CF or Controlled Fracturing in 9mm and .45 ACP.  I also have samples of MP or Multiple Projectile in .45 ACP.  I'll be testing these additional loads after working my way through the ME samples.

In the interest of full disclosure, everyone now knows that the Lehigh Defense ammo I will be testing over the next few weeks was provided to me free of charge by the manufacturer.  I have not received any other perks or payment of any type so rest assured my testing and documentation with be as unbiased and honest as any of my previous tests.

I had the chance to get out to the range yesterday and did some preliminary testing with denim and water jugs.  I had the time to put a video together this morning that captured the tests.  Pretty impressive stuff so far.




8 comments:

  1. Bruce,

    First of all, thank you for the great tests. Very informative.
    Do you plan on testing the 9mm ME through denim and SIM-test as per previous tests?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The test was actually done over the Memorial Day Weekend, but it takes some time to get the blog written and video edited and produced. It should all be wrapped up in the next two weeks or so. I'm just now wrapping up the .45 ACP denim and gel test. Glad to hear you are looking forward to the results!

      Delete
  2. Kind of funny
    I Had some ammo for my Kel-Tec P32 from a company called Grizzly that was made the same exact way but not the same guys.?

    Although it fired well, if you tried to do a manual extraction the bullet tended to jam due in part to the length or the cuts ..not sure.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manual extraction on the P-32 always gives me problems. The longer FMJ stuff really gives me fits.

      Delete
    2. In the "over pressured" 380 rounds that you did test, how was the expansion and penetration?

      Delete
    3. @Antonio Over-expansion to the point that the petals snapped off the bullet base and about 9" of penetration.

      Delete
  3. Did you ever test the .380 ammo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did and had serious concerns about over pressure as I was exceeding published velocity by 75+ fps. Contacted the manufacturer about it and was told replacement ammo would be sent. It never arrived.

      Delete