Sunday, June 17, 2012

Buffalo Bore .32 ACP 75 Grain HCFN Extreme Denim and Gel Test


Today was Father's Day so I spent the morning with the family with the intention of spending the afternoon out on the range.  Things worked out and one of the things I was able to do was a test by request from someone that has followed the blog and is also a member over at the KTOG forum.  Jason sent me some of the Buffalo Bore .32 ACP +P 75 Grain HCFN rounds to test.  As we swapped messages back and forth he told me that in his area people really have to dress warm in the Winter months so he wanted to know I would do a heavy clothing test on the Buffalo Bore ammo.  We decided that "heavy clothing" would equal 15 layers of medium weight denim.  As I was putting the swatches together I ended up with 16 layers that stack to about an inch thick when not compressed.

The video below documents the test and results.




At the range, I really thought the round had stayed in the block.  After running another test that I will publish at some future date, I had to search the berm for a lost round.  While looking for that one, I landed on a treasure trove of fired rounds in a small area of the berm.  I finally figured out those rounds were the velocity test rounds I had run across the chronograph earlier in the day.  I picked up one of the Buffalo Bore 32's because it was simply pristine, ok it was a little dirty, but it's shape was almost as new even after plowing into the dirt berm at full speed.  That recovered round is shown on the data sheet below.  I don't think it's the "lost" bullet from the denim and gel test, but it could be.

 

My Thoughts:

If you are looking for penetration from the .32 ACP, this round has it in spades.  Seriously, a full inch of denim and it still had enough uumph to plow though the SIM-TEST block 14.5" before escaping out the side of the block.  I've never been a big fan of FMJ or cast lead solids, but this test was a real eye opener on the penetration capabilities of a skinny .309" bullet running a shade over 900 fps.

Jason, I hope you enjoyed the test and got the information you were looking for.  Thanks for the opportunity to give this ammo a try.


Disclaimer....This test should not be considered an endorsement or recommendation for the product(s) tested.  It is up to each individual to make their own personal decision on which specific ammunition to use for their needs.  It's also critically important to test any ammo in YOUR SPECIFIC FIREARM before relying on it for any purpose.  +P ammo should never be used an any firearm unless the firearm manufacturer specifically states that is is safe to do so. 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting test. I use a heavier cast bullet in my .32 ACP loads. Accurate Molds #31-087T is an 87-grain rounded flat nose of shape very much like the British .380 Mk1 200-grain revolver load, scaled to. 32 caliber. Using a charge of 2 grains of Bullseye, velocity is 790 fps from my Beretta INOX with 2.4" barrel, 906 fps from my Walther PP with 3.9" barrel and 1045 fps from my converted Remington 580 bolt action rifle with 16" barrel.

    By way of comparison, WW2 German steel cased ammunition, which I inherited with the Walther PP, loaded with 73-grain FMJ bullet, gave 907 fps from the 2.4" Beretta, 977 fps from the 3.9" Walther PP and 1214 fps from the 16" rifle barrel. Modern RWS FMJ ammo gives almost identical performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of accuracy do you get form the 16'' rifle barrel? I always thought a 32ACP rifle would be a great small game rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Remington 580 with scope does about an inch and a half at 50 yards for a series of 5-shot groups with good ammo, fiured off sandbags with a 4X hunting scope. Not Camp Perry smallbore match quality, but fully adequate for the intended small game purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried this load in my NAA Guardian .32. It is a heavy bullet but it has an overall length even shorter than the 60 grain hollow points. My gun will not cycle reliably with it or the 60 grain Barnes copper hollow points. Do you know where I could find an anti rim lock shim?
    Thanks for all of the great tests
    Frank
    arenzoni@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know a source for those shims. You might try making your own. http://www.keltecforum.com/articles/a5/a5.html

      Delete
    2. With your help I was able to find several possible cures to the issue. Thanks again for the help
      Frank

      Delete
  5. Do you know the length of this BB 32acp 75 grain? I have an old Seecamp .32 and generally need ammo shorter than .910"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly suggest that you stick to the list of approved ammunition choices that are published on the Seecamp website. I ran a little Corbon 60 grain JHP through my brand new Seecamp 32 when I received it, and it ended up back at Seecamp for repairs for the next 6 months. Obviously, you are free to do whatever you please with your Seecamp.

      Delete