Sunday, June 24, 2012

Recoil-Cam Returns

June 2011 was an interesting month for me.  I had just started the blog and was learning about YouTube, Windows Live Movie Maker, Blogger, Twitter, etc.  My first YouTube video was done as part of the first gun review featured on the blog.  That review was on the Diamondback DB9.  The video was intended to illustrate the difference in recoil between the DB9 and the Kahr PM9.  It was horrible, but I went forward with it anyway and promised in the opening title that I would eventually figure out a way to compare recoil between different pistols.

As a blogger with a primary focus on small guns, I get questions all the time about the recoil of specific pistols and also how one pistol compares with another similar pistol.  For me, recoil is subjective.  I'll shoot just about any pistol and enjoy it.  The only pistol I really don't enjoy practicing with is the Seecamp 380.  It's not fun....AT ALL, but it's special to me so I'm keeping it, even if I don't shoot it very often.  So I'm thinking that maybe I'm not the best person to ask about recoil, but I still get the questions coming in.  I really needed to figure out a way to deliver on the promise I made in my first YouTube video.

I started checking into high speed video and the cameras that were high speed capable.  I learned that most HD videos are shot in 30 frames per second.  After slowing down my own videos I could see the huge gaps in action between the video frames.  They almost look like the old stop-motion animation shows from the 60's.  Remember Davey and Goliath?

Luckily, technology has progressed quite a bit since the 60's and I found a camera that could do high speed video for a reasonable price.  It's not HD high speed, but it looked good enough for my needs.

Earlier tonight I uploaded a new video to YouTube that featured footage from the new camera.  After trying 120, 240, and 480 frames per second, I decided that 480 was the best option to really catch all the action taking place as a semi-auto pistol cycles and your hands deal with the recoil and motion.  I'm actually very pleased with this first video as I know that will continue to get better over time. 


As I was editing up the video, I really had a chance to analyze what I was seeing in the individual videos.  I had heard about "the twist" with the PM40 and PM45.  I've never shot a PM45, but I can clearly see the PM40 twist to my left with each shot.  I even caught myself doing the dreaded support hand re-grip with the PM40.  Watch those left hand fingers flutter.  The PM9 rules the roost with 5 aimed shots down range faster than any of the others.  Even though the video runs for about 1 minute per gun, it's really only about 3.5 to 5 seconds in real time.  I didn't rush my shots with any pistol.  I shot accurate aimed fire as quickly as I could reacquire the front sight.   

I would be remiss if I didn't post the first Recoil-Cam video, just so you can see how horrid it was.  Even though I still get negative feedback on it, I've left it up as a reminder to myself about how much better things are now versus when I started a year ago.

While you're here, you might as well check out this other video I did today.  I'm not saying that recoil comparison videos were my only reason for the new camera.  I like making videos like these too.  {smileyface}.

1 comment:

  1. The smallest gun I own is an M&P9c, which really isn't that small. But I enjoy your blog and videos anyway. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete