Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Boberg XR9-S Gets a Blackout

Back in April I first reviewed the Boberg XR9-S.  After it's initial shake down and verification, I decided to go with back pocket carry in a modified Remora 3BB Holster.  The only thing I didn't like about this carry option was that it was possible for someone standing behind you to look down into your pocket and see you had a multi colored object in your back pocket.  The chances of this happening were slim, but in the back of my mind I really wished for an all black Boberg.

About 3 weeks after delivery of my Boberg, two new finish options were added for the XR9-S.  The Onyx version with everything except the trigger being black and the Platinum version with a platinum colored frame to match the stainless slide and hammer/trigger components.  It didn't take long before Arne offered owners the chance to convert the standard XR9-S two tone pistols to Onyx versions for a reasonable price.  I jumped at the chance for the update.

Earlier today I got my Onyx conversion back from Boberg.  I asked Arne to make it as black as possible and he offered up a black trigger that he was testing to assure the black finish held up on the trigger components.  I again jumped at the chance to get that one last component coated in black.  So for now this is a special Boberg that is about as black as you can make one.

Going back to my original back pocket holster, the change is really dramatic.

Now if someone looks into my back pocket they probably wouldn't even think twice about the black wallet looking thing in my pocket.  I just like it because how much more black could it be?  None..none more black.  (If you've ever seen This Is Spinal Tap, you'll get the reference)

While the pistol was back at the factory for the blackout, the Boberg team tested the pistol after coating to assure the pistol remained within specification and had all the latest updates applied to it.  I'm glad to have it back and I am looking forward to seeing how well the finish holds up over time.  Maybe I'll post an update in a year or two.  

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I think the Onyx version looks great. If you are worried about someone looking down your back pocket, I did see a holster maker online who offers a faux zipper cover flap that goes over top of the gun. I have never handled one in person, but it looks well made. http://www.pocketholsters.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. I've seen those before, but never considered getting one. It looks like he's slowly adding models with the top flap option. The website shows it's not currently an option for the Boberg holster.

      Delete