Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Springfield XDs 45 Review Teaser


Last month I was approached by a fellow shooter at the range and he asked me if I would be interested in doing a review on the XDs 45.  Since the XDs wasn't on my list of pistols to purchase this year, getting one on loan was about the only way I was going to get my hands on one this year.  I got a call earlier today and we met up for the loan.  I've had the chance to field strip and clean the pistol and I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures.  For the photo above, I broke out the Glock 36 for a quick size comparison.

The next two photos show the XDs in a Remora 6Art SS holster.  This is the same holster size that is suggested for the Glock 36.  Along with the pistols stock 5 round magazines, I was also provided with a 7 round extended magazine so I went ahead and snapped a photo in both configurations.



I'll do a full unboxing review/video and my typical multi-part blog and video review over the weekend.  I can tell you that I discovered some surprises during the field stripping process.  I keep one foot firmly in the Glock and Springfield XD camps.  I own both makes in their full size models and appreciate both so while I will be comparing the Glock and Springfield at times during the review, I do so without a bias for either brand.

With that said, I will comment now that the XDs is more Glock-like than any XD or XDm variant I've ever had in my hands.  Some of the XD unique features of the larger models are noticeably absent on the XDs.  For example, you can retract the slide without depressing the grip safety, the striker nub does not extend outside the slide cover plate, and you must pull the trigger to remove the slide from the frame during field stripping.  It may look like an XD and act like and XD, but this is a different bird.  I'm really looking forward to spending the next few days with the pistol.  I may even decide I can't live without one.   

If you've read this far, consider yourself teased.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment