Friday, November 2, 2012

The Myth Of Knock Down Power

I really didn't plan to post anything today, but enough was enough.  All week long I've watched a group of guys go at each other over the "Knock Down Power" of various projectiles as fired from pistols and rifles.  I happened to be working on an ammo test video so I grabbed some highlights to give them a visual example of why Knock Down Power is pretty much a big myth.  It looks great in movies, but I'm not seeing real live examples during my terminal testing.  I hope this video will stop the squabbling.  Since I did the work, I thought I would share it on the blog too.


I'm also a realist and understand that getting hit with that bullet would totally suck and definitely cause me to pause and stop what I happened to be doing at the moment.  It does not appear that I would be picking myself up off the ground because the bullet had taken me off my feet.

Comments? 

3 comments:

  1. Bruce, you pretty much have it correct. I saw a gunman take a load of 00buck square in the chest from about twenty feet, and he simply dropped to his knees and slumped over. Just my two cents....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe it would not knock someone down, however, the energy of some of the better handgun loads out there would probably equal a pretty good roundhouse punch to the gut, if shot there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping power? Real. Knockdown power? Not in anything short of a .50.

    ReplyDelete