Thursday, August 22, 2013

S&W M&P Shield Safety Alert Issued 8-22-2013


Well, it's now official so I better do my part to get the word out.  I hate doing this, but I did review both the 9mm and 40 S&W Shields in the last year and gave them both a thumbs up.  Earlier today I learned that S&W had issued a Consumer Safety Alert on the Shield.  They didn't use the "R" word and the inspection burden falls on the customer.  

Here's the official announcement and inspection process document from the Smith and Wesson website:  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_791654_-1_757978_757978_image

Per the Alert, you must immediately stop using your Shield and perform the inspection.  I followed both video and written inspection instructions and found them quite easy to follow.

The good news is my Shield isn't affected.  The bad news is that I have to post this blog because others won't be so lucky.

6 comments:

  1. I checked last night and found that my Shield is OK. I would hate to send this great little gun away to Smith & Wesson. I would miss not having it on my hip while out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news....awesome. Thanks for posting your result.

      Delete
  2. I was happy to learn that mine was also unaffected. After waiting so long to find a Shield, I would definitely miss it if I had to send it in. Now, if they could only do something about their backlog of magazine orders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked my Shield 9mm and it was OK. Thanks for the heads up though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My .40 is fine as well. Great to see S&W stand behind their product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got my Shield 40 back in May 2013, it was a batch manufactured in April 2013 and no problems with my trigger.

    ReplyDelete