Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ammo is Back.....In a Big Way

If you haven't been watching, centerfire pistol ammo is coming back strong in the stores and at the on-line retailers.  That's probably not big news.  What is most welcome is that prices have also started to moderate (drop sharply) over the last several weeks.  50 round boxes of 9mm bonded JHP are getting back down in the $25 a box range again.  9mm FMJ range fodder hasn't participated in the price drop yet, but likely will as the pipeline refills.

As I was putting together a restocking order, I happened to see some 38 Special +P ammo available that I had tested many months ago.  The test samples were a donation from a blog reader and it was the first time I've ever seen it available.  I couldn't remember exactly how it performed and didn't want to buy it if it wasn't a great performer.

What did I do?  I came over to the blog and hit the Ammo Tests tab on the top of the page.  I quickly scanned down to the test I was looking for, clicked the link, and checked the data sheet.  It took me less than 2 minutes to get a full evaluation of the load, and decide to buy with confidence.  If you aren't using the Ammo Tests page, I think you are missing out.  It's the complete catalog of tests so good, I use them myself before making an ammunition purchase decision.

One of my goals for the blog has always been to build the most comprehensive source of independent terminal testing data that I could afford to put together.  Another goal was to provide a platform to share that data with others so they can make their own informed ammunition selection decisions.  It never occurred to me that I would end up using the resource myself.  Funny how things tend to come full circle when you least expect it.

This is what I looked up and decided to buy.  



6 comments:

  1. Maybe online but the local stores around here (Houston) that don't overcharge are still pretty bare mostly for 9mm. That goes for some rifle calibers as well .308 and .30-30 is almost non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Academy and Cabela's up here and both are very well stocked. Even Walmart has a decent selection of the popular pistol calibers. I hope it improves for you soon.

      Delete
  2. Walmart stores in the coastal region of South Carolina are getting good stock of all handgun ammo recently. 9mm. JHP, Federal 115gr, 100 round value pack, $25. Bass Pro also well stocked again, only caliber hard to find is .380 Auto. JHP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction to my previous post, FMJ, not JHP. Brain Fart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In OR ammo is still scarce, Wal-Mart has actually raised their prices by 10-15%, no 22LR. Dick's Sporting goods, who refused to sell MSRs after Sandy Hook is still gouging on ammo and may stop carrying bang-sticks replacing them w/women's clothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screw Dick's Sporting Goods! I haven't been in that place since after the way they crapped on gun owners after the horrific Newtown Shooting.

      Delete