Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Beware The Man With One Gun


I think I've mentioned this on the blog before.  My Dad was an avid competitive trapshooter back in the 1960's.  While I was too young to remember much about that time, he must have been pretty good at it judging by all the trophies he's got stashed down in his basement.  He stopped trap shooting for a few decades when my brother and I needed more of his attention, and his play money started going into our college savings funds.  After I was through college and out on my own, my Dad started trapshooting again. 

I also started competitive trapshooting in the mid to late 1990's because I enjoyed it, and it was something my Dad and I could do together.  For a few years we would meet up in Pennsylvania, Florida, and New Jersey to participate in the larger State level shoots together.  Every year I would have a new shotgun when we met up.  Every year he would have the same Browning Broadway he'd been shooting since the 60's.  Dad never gave me much advice about shooting other than telling me to "beware the man with one gun".  I remembered him saying it, but the meaning didn't sink in until much later.

Last night I made a special trip out to the range to shoot my early 1990's vintage Ruger Mark II and 10/22 I will be using in the 2014 Walther Arms Arkansas State Rimfire Challenge match this weekend.  Aside from being some of the oldest firearms I own, they are also the two I've spent the most time getting to know.  Even though it's been nearly a year since I last shot them, they were immediately familiar in my hands.  I set up a 6" paper plate target for each gun and burned through a few magazines at "match distances" of 10 to 20 yards.  The picture at the top of the article shows the results on the backer board that was holding the plates.  These groups are plenty accurate enough for the match this weekend.  If I miss a target, it won't be because of my equipment.

I don't consider myself a particularly good shooter.  I think I'm an OK shooter who is unwilling to invest the practice time to be a better shooter.  As I was driving home from the range last night, I remembered my Dad's advice about "beware the man with one gun".  In my case it's two guns, but I can definitely see that familiarity leads to confidence and maybe even a better score on Saturday.  Wish me luck.

     

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck at the shoot I also consider myself only a decent shot, but I've made some nice shots with guns I really spent time with. Moving snake thru the neck at 20 yards with an Ithaca .22 lever-action; soft drink bottle with a Ruger Mk I (?) .22 auto pistol at 75 yards. (And yes, the bottle was in a junkyard, the snake was smaller than an anaconda, and this all happened when I had young eyes and steady hands :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and eyes getting old isn't any fun at all.

      Delete