Monday, April 13, 2015

MGW Glock Sight Tool and Glock 42 Adapter Review

The MGW Sight Tool and Glock 42 Adapter are available from several sources.  Prices vary widely, so shop around for the best deal if you can find it in-stock.
Maybe I inherited it from my Dad, but I've never had an issue spending money on tools.  If you have the basic skills, having the right tool for the job usually yields better results than trying to make do with less specialized tools.  Can you change out, or adjust, the rear sight on Glock handguns with a non-marring punch and hammer?  You certainly can, and I have done just that on a few occasions with mixed results.

I don't change the sights on every Glock handgun, but I am a fan of fiber optic and night sights.  I've changed out a few Glock sight sets over the years.  Some installs go perfectly while others leave me with a pistol that shoots a bit too much left or right of center and requires additional adjustment.  I don't make sight adjustments at the range so it's a trial and error process until I get the sights set correctly.  It can be a tedious process, and I've long considered buying a sight pusher that I could take along with me to the range.

After reviewing the Glock 42, I decided to add night sights.  While shopping for the replacement sights, I also found the MGW Sight Tool and Glock 42 adapter available so I finally took the plunge and bought my sight installation tool.     

Using the hammer and punch sight installation method left me with a Glock 36 that shot quite a bit left. 
  
The thinner width of the G42 slide requires an adapter.  Without the adapter, the sight tool works for all other Glock models.
Something else I picked up from my Dad was to buy quality tools.  If you take care of them, they will last you a lifetime.  My first impression of the MGW Sight Tool was that Dad would approve.  If used as directed, I feel confident that my son will be able to use this tool long after I'm gone.   It's substantial without being overly large or heavy.

Operation of the sight tool is pretty straight forward.  MGW includes a single page instruction sheet with the tool that does a good job explaining the sight removal and installation process.  My only suggestion for improvement is to include some photos similar to those included in this review. Words are good.  Words and example pictures are always better.

Following the instructions, the factory sight is pushed to the right off the slide.
The sight removal process is quick and painless.  Just follow the directions to lock the slide in place and slowly turn the T-handle to move the sight to the right.  The handle turns very easily.  When removing the Glock factory sight, I could easily turn the handle with just my index finger and thumb.  The image above shows the sight pushed about one third of the way out of the dovetail.

The replacement sight is pulled into the sight dovetail from right to left.
One key point included in the instructions was that the new sight is pulled into the sight dovetail from right to left on Glock firearms.  Pulling the new sight into position took a bit more effort on the T-handle, but was still very easy to accomplish with the leverage provided by the handle.  When I thought the site was reaching the centered position, I backed off on the T-handle a few turns so I could visually check the sight position without the pusher block in the way.  I did this process a few times until I was confident the sight was in the correct spot in the dovetail.

I still need to get the Glock 42 out on the range and verify the rear sight is properly positioned.  If it's off a tad, I'll just use the tool to make the necessary adjustment.  I really like the virtually infinite range of adjustment the tool provides.  It allows for much finer adjustments than you can ever get using a hammer and punch.

Sight installation perfection.  The MGW Sight Tool easily fits in my range bag if fine adjustment is required on the range.
As I mentioned at the top of the review, you don't necessarily NEED this tool to change the rear sights on Glock firearms.  If you are someone who likes to change their sights, or wishes to become instantly more popular with your range buddies, this tool may be a good investment.  For someone that will only use the tool once or twice in their lifetime, it might be more economical to find a professional gunsmith to do your sight installation.

Personally, I like the convenience of being able to make rear sight changes/adjustments whenever, and wherever, I need to make them.  I also appreciate the peace of mind I get using this tool instead of the potentially risky hammer and punch method.  Fiber optic light pipes and tritium vials are fragile.  Sight manufacturers do their best to protect these components within the body of the sight, but who knows if they can withstand repeated blows from a hammer and punch.  For these reasons, I think the tool was a good investment.  I'm certainly more than satisfied with the quality and performance of the MGW Sight Tool.

With all the buzz around the new Glock 43, I checked the Ameriglo 2015 catalog and found out the same adapter that works for the G42 will also work for the G43.  For now, the sight tool with one adapter will work for all current production Glock handguns.

3 comments:

  1. Great demonstrative review - thanks, Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up. Any idea why the adapter includes the large U shaped block that goes around the slide? The standard setup for normal sized Glocks does not use this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's required to raise the slide up high enough for the pusher block to press the sight. If you notice in the first picture, the slide height is significantly shorter on the G42.

      Delete